Saturday, March 4, 2017

Quilt as you go heart

   On day #2 of my Heart-A-Day challenge I decided to try a quilt as you go technique. I am still crushing on the potholders idea so I used %100 cotton batting and fabric, etc. I worked on 2 simultaneously to speed up the process time, kind of like an assembly line.
The first thing I did was to cut out the batting and backing fabric and stick them together with my Sulky KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive. I love this stuff! so much easier than basting and it doesn't leave a tacky residue. I then sewed my scraps down starting in the centre and working my way out, carefully overlapping the edges.
This is a potholder so I prepared the "handles" side of the heart. I safety pinned the handles to the heart so they would stay together during the turning out process.
I pinned the heart to the quilt right sides together.
I sewed around the heart, leaving an opening large enough to turn out through. I cut off the extra quilted material.
before turning I snipped the curves of the heart so it would lay flat later.
This is the heart after I turned it inside out, before I ironed it.
I tucked in the extra fabric at the turn opening and ironed the heart on both sides. I then sewed a ribbon into the opening to serve as a hanger.
I reinforced the heart shape with a blanket stitch around the edge in a contrasting cotton thread. Day #2 is complete!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment