Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Heart shaped pot holders

   I have a "thing" for hearts. I saw this photo in my Pinterest feed and knew that I had to try to make them! I have a large fabric stash and thought this would be a great way to use some of my scraps.
The first thing I did was measure my hand and create a heart template.
I then laid out some scraps on top of the heart with an overlap.
I sewed the scraps together with cotton thread, and ironed with starch to keep it from shifting. Make sure the entire heart is covered by the scraps.
I traced around the template and cut out the heart. I used a sharpie marker. It doesn't matter if you can see the marker after you cut it out because it will not show after you sew.
I made a template for the "handles" and cut out two pieces, turning the template over for the second piece. I left extra fabric along the straight edge to fold under so the edge of the fabric will be tucked under with a hem.
I place the three pieces in place and basted them together along the outer edges.
I cut out the heart from 100% cotton batting. Cotton will not melt when exposed to heat like polyester will.
Instead of basting the batting to the scrap heart, I used fabric adhesive. Then I quilted the batting to the scrap heart. I now have 2 pieces to join together. The quilted fabric heart, and the heart with "handles". I pinned right sides of the 2 hearts together and sewed around the perimeter, leaving a 1.5 inch opening.
I pulled the heart inside out through the opening I had left. I ironed it flat and put a ribbon in the opening for hanging. I hand sewed it shut, but you can always use the machine.
I hand stitched around the entire heart to make it more secure when I wash it. I also sewed along the hemmed "handles".
Not too bad for a first attempt...
Time for tea!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment